To reduce your risk of getting sick
We respect your choice to drink raw unpasteurised milk, but we recommend the following to reduce the risk of getting sick:
– Keep it chilled whilst transporting it home from the farm.
– Keep your raw milk in the coldest part of your fridge (usually the lower levels are 4 degrees Celsius or less).
– Throw it out if it’s been left out for 2 or more hours.
– When you want to drink your raw milk, heat it until just boiling (or to 70 degrees Celsius for one minute) before drinking it.
– Drink it by its use-by date.
– If you’re serving raw milk to friends or visitors, make sure you let them know what the risks are.
– Buy it only from a registered supplier. From 1 November 2016 producers who sell raw unpasteurised milk had to be registered with MPI. The lists of registered suppliers will be updated as providers are approved.